Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 Packet of smoked mackerell fillets or 2 fresh mackerel fillets or 1 tin of mackerel in tomato sauce
- 50g Sea lettuce
- 10g Wild fennel flowers
- 400g Cooked Edamami beans
- 1tbsp Tomato Puree (if not using tinned mackerel)
- 1tbsp Soy sauce
- 1/4tsp Chilli
- 1 Lime, juice and zest
1. Cook beans and add to bowl
2. Fry mackerel fillets on high heat for 5 minutes then remove from heat
3. Remove skin and reserve for later; break up mackerel into smallish pieces
4. Pick down or chop fennel flowers finely
5. Chop half the sea lettuce, reserving half for deep-frying (dry by opening up fully and laying out separately for at least 1 hour)
6. Combine everything except mackerel skins and reserved sea lettuce
7. Heat oil on high heat until showing signs of turbulence then take one piece of sea lettuce at a time, dip one end into the oil for a second, put it down and then dip the reverse end in; then place on paper towel.
8. Cut mackerel skin into 4 pieces and fry in a slotted spoon for a few seconds until crispy.
9. Plate up salad and add crispy mackerel and green see lettuce 'skin' equally to each plate.
The finished dish...